Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, today unveiled the all-new Subaru XV at the Geneva International Motor Show 2017. Combining a compact body with real SUV capabilities underpinned by Subaru’s original Symmetrical AWD System and a rugged and sporty design, the Subaru XV is a crossover SUV suited to a multitude of settings, from urban driving to the great outdoors. Representing the first full model change since the original Subaru XV was launched in 2012, the new model offers distinctive design and enhanced drivability on poor road surfaces, while adopting the all-new Subaru Global Platform to achieve world-class collision safety and superior hazard avoidance as well as dramatic advances in driver-responsive handling and ride comfort. The Subaru XV provides customers with "Enjoyment and Peace of Mind" as the second of Subaru’s next-generation models offered under the company’s Prominence 2020 mid-term management vision.
Design package is distinctively rugged and sporty, while remaining true to the Subaru identity
Distinctive design unique to the rugged and sporty Subaru XV reflects Subaru’s Dynamic & Solid design
philosophy. The quality of interior and exterior finishes shows a sharp eye for detail, while Subaru’s
signature functionality has been taken to all-new levels.
- The Subaru look is seen in the Wide & Low stance with its sporty impression, and in the unified
three-dimensional structure extending from the hexagonal grille that symbolizes the Subaru identity
to the hawk-eye headlights. The front face plays the role of starting point from which the front flows
via the sides to the rear, with each part uniting into a solid form. The powerful form of the hexagonal
grille and the matte-black cladding on the front bumper express SUV functionality, underlining the
rugged character of the Subaru XV.
- The rich inflection of the character line extending from the front fender to the door panels and rear
shoulder, and the line rising energetically toward the rear from the lower door panel, give dynamism
to the solid body surface. The powerfully extended fender flares express the reliability of Subaru
All-Wheel Drive. The matte-black cladding running from the front bumper over the wheel arches and
side sills to the rear bumper creates a dynamic form expressing all the enjoyment to be expected
from a crossover vehicle.
- The rear combination lights sharing the same motif as the headlights express a Wide & Low stance
similar to the front. The tightened cabin silhouette and powerful shoulders thrusting above the rear
combination lights create a nimble, sporty design. Its contrast with the rugged flavor imparted by the
black rear spoiler and matte-black cladding on the rear bumper emphasizes the distinctive character
of the Subaru XV, which is equally at home in a range of settings.
- The new model also combines the Subaru performance essentials of superior aerodynamics and
visibility with advanced styling.
- The aluminum wheels feature a new design embodying the sporty, casual, and rugged character of
the Subaru XV.
- New exterior paint schemes offer a choice of two fresh solid colors: Cool Gray Khaki and Sunshine
Orange. Both tones set off the matte-black cladding to maximum advantage, spotlighting the active
and functional image of the Subaru XV.
- The combination of sporty and advanced design and sophisticated construction delivers an interior
that far surpasses its class.
- The spacious design flows from the instrument panel through the door trim for a feeling of
- The seats’ structures that are made more fitting to the bodies of passengers have been revamped to
far surpass the quality of its class. Moreover, breathable seat covering and varying shades of gray
emphasize the active character of the Subaru XV.
- In the center of the instrument panel is an 8.0-inch touch-screen display for the infotainment system,
which can connect with smartphones.
- The multifunction display offers a comprehensive range of content. New screen design clearly
communicates fun, useful information to all passengers.
- Detailed orange stitching on the instrument panel complements the quality feel while expressing the
model’s active character.
- In addition to the enhanced interior design, signature Subaru functionalities have been further
strengthend inluding the excellent all-round visibility, spacious cabin, and cargo room.
- A new, smaller-diameter steering wheel delivers ease of maneuverability and snappy steering.
Drivability that combines real SUV performance with dynamic feel
The new Subaru XV incorporated a number of improvements to achieve enhanced dynamic feel such as a
secure and comfortable feel for the driver. Based on the thorough and precise analysis of the steering and
pedal feedback, vehicle behavior, vibration and noise, and other elements that driver senses, the setup
realize a dynamic quality that far surpasses its class. At the same time, further enhancement of essential
SUV capabilities such as drivability on poor road surfaces masterfully reconciles the conflicting demands
placed on crossover vehicles.
Body & Chassis
- The new platform dramatically increases rigidity throughout the body and chassis (a 70% to 100%
increase over present models) and incorporates substantial improvements to the suspension system
and achieve a lower center of gravity, bringing about highly responsive steering that allows drivers to
control the vehicle precisely as they want. The eradication of unnecessary movement in handling
offers superior straight-line stability and cornering performance to grip the road surface while
maintaining the ample 220 mm road clearance required of an SUV.
- Optimized frame structure and stronger joints between parts allow the new platform to improve
overall torsional rigidity by 70% over present models. This distributes the resonance and distortion
throughout the body, greatly reducing vibrations from the steering wheel, floor, and seats. It achieves
a quietness that goes beyond vehicle class.
- The new platform increases the rigidity of the suspension mounting, improving the absorption of the
suspension without warping the body of the car, and providing a smooth and comfortable drive. By
mounting the rear stabilizer directly to the body, the new platform reduces the body roll of the vehicle
by 50% compared to present models.
- The steering gear ratio has been quickened from 14:1 to 13:1, further enhancing the Subaru XV’s
characteristic strengths as an SUV with agile maneuverability.
- Active Torque Vectoring enhances turning and steering performance.
- An electronic parking brake boosts convenience.
- In addition to Subaru’s unique Symmetrical AWD system, the new Subaru XV is equipped with
X-MODE, capable of enhancing driving performance on poor roads through optimized integrated
control of engine, four-wheel drive, braking, and other functions on slippery surfaces. The hill descent
control setting gives drivers greater peace of mind by maintaining low speeds on downhill slopes.
- Around 80% of the parts on the newly developed 2.0-liter direct injection Boxer engine have been
completely revamped compared with previous naturally aspirated engines, making the new engine
around 12 kg lighter to deliver more power and fuel economy.
- The improved Lineartronic transmission expands ratio coverage from 6.28 to 7.03 and is about 7.8
kg lighter than previous models to boost acceleration and fuel economy. As well as employing
auto-step shift control on all models, the Subaru XV features a 7-speed manual mode function that
allows the driver to accelerate as desired.
- Noise and vibration are greatly reduced on both the engine and transmission, for more pleasant
sounds and a dynamic feel.
Subaru’s safety performance has continuously been highly rated by third-party organizations. The new
Subaru XV has adopted technologies to further enhance its safety including the new platform and the
advanced preventive safety system.
- The new platform achieves a center of gravity that is 5 mm lower than present models. Together with
the major improvements in rigidity and the evolution of the suspension system, this lower center of
gravity offers outstanding hazard avoidance capabilities on a level with a high-performance sports
- Thanks to a frame structure that enables more efficient energy absorption in the event of collision
and the enhanced body strength resulting from the increased use of high-tensile steel plates
including materials formed by the hot press method, impact energy absorption is improved by 40%
over present models.
- As a standard equipment, EyeSight, Subaru’s innovative and highly acclaimed driver assist
technology, delivers extremely reliable preventive safety and reduces driver burdens through
features such as Pre-Collision Braking Control, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Lane Keep Assist
- High Beam Assist technology, which uses a monocular camera, is integrated into the interior
rearview mirror. It detects preceding and oncoming vehicles and automatically switches headlights
between high and low beam. The automatic antiglare function on the interior mirror uses a sensor to
detect strong light from sources such as the headlights of following vehicles and automatically
adjusts reflectivity to reduce glare and make night-driving safer.
- Steering Responsive Headlights moves the beam right or left when turning at corners and
intersections to illuminate the direction of travel. The Subaru XV employs the two headlight controls
for the first time, dramatically improving nighttime visibility and recognition capabilities of EyeSight.
- The Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection has been newly employed, offering blind spot detection, lane
change assistance and reversing assistance to enhance all-round preventive safety.